As the full time physics teacher at our smallish school I teach every pupil in Y7, Y8 and Y9 (that's 1st, 2nd and 3rd year to you old farts). I also teach most of the older pupils who are taking physics for GCSE and A level. As a result I now find myself responsible, in the eyes of the kids, for all the physics of the world. When the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) was being turned on I got a ridiculous amount of flack from kids and teachers alike. Most of it was end-of-the-world related, for which I blame the ill informed journalists and DJs on the radio and TV. There was some genuine interest, which was quite pleasing.
I now find myself taking full responsibility for it being turned off. I feel like I must have accidentally knocked some coffee into it or something. I'm starting to hate the bloody thing.
2 comments:
Recent reports indicate that a large old-style police box was found to be interfering with the magnetic fields. They don't know Who is responsible.
What little British TV and radio coverage we heard from here was depressingly awful in its explication. We spent at least two days trying to reassure a panicked eleven year old in our care that the world was probably not going to be sucked into a black hole. I don't envy your unwanted role as Madame Physics. Luckily for you, like any media story, they've not mentioned it much since eh?
Post a Comment