My birthday was over a week ago now but I have been very lazy about writing about it. I usually look forward to, and enjoy my birthday a lot, but this year I ended up feeling a bit grumpy about getting older. I suppose the whole thing just sneaked up on me and I feel like I ended up down-playing it a bit too much. I couldn't think of much that I actually wanted present-wise, so my family and various honourary aunties all made monetary contributions to the purchase of a new spinning wheel. I wasn;t sure what I wanted to get. I just knew I wanted something a little more reliable and versatile than my current one. While I love my own wheel and enjoy the fact that it has obviously had many years of use it is just a little bit too eccentric for a beginner like me to do more than spin the same kind of yarn over and over again.
I tried a few different ones and eventually plumped for a Kromski Sonata, which is a folding wheel, with Scotch tension. While you wouldn't want to carry it on your back, the idea of being able to pack it away and take it on holiday really appealed.

I already spun some of the silk merino I got free with it into a thick 2-ply. Some of it is a little underspun but it looks like a good, even yarn by my standards. It is certainly much chunkier than anything I'd be able to produce on the old wheel.

Thanks to all the contributors. It means a lot to me. :)
3 comments:
belated congrats to you! i hope it made up for the sore finger. xx e
Hope you enjoy it - if you ever want to borrow the jumbo flyer for plying just ask.
Hi, it's cate from the bridge, the one from barnsley? I found your blog through Lucy's, i hope you don't mind? I also hope you don't mind that i've tagged you, but feel free to ignore it if you're too busy/can't be bothered!
Cate :o)
Post a Comment