In between the two weekends we visited Stonehenge, Bath, Wells, Glastonbury and Bristol. Despite being told it wasn't worth it I really enjoyed Stonehenge. Maybe it just feels more relevant to see a Neolithic construction when you've been studying that period for several weeks.
Bath and Wells were both really attractive places. We even made it into the new thermal spa. I thought they might be funny about letting a pregnant woman in, but they just told me to avoid the steam rooms and drink plenty of water. I was very grateful for just being able to float for a couple of hours after all the sight seeing.
Glastonbury was a bit of a disappointment. Just a lot of new age type shops and hippy types hanging around. We went up to the Tor, which if nothing else is geographically quite impressive. It just appears out of nowhere.
We weren't to impressed with Bristol either as a sight seeing place. It might have been more interesting if I'd been a bit more energetic and walked around a bit more. I was running out of energy at that point and it had a lot to live up to given the previous places we'd been. We did visit the SS Great Britain, the first steel hulled steam ship, built by Brunell.
We also made it to Get Knitted, but I didn't buy much since WoolFest was not long ago. We finished up with the National Arboretum, where we saw a lot of very old trees and some new discoveries.
Retrospectively I would have liked to have a longer holiday or spend more time relaxing, but then we wouldn't have been able to see the family, which was quite important to us. We now have a house full of baby equipment, kindly passed on by them.




2 comments:
I'm tired just reading about everything you did. Nice to hear the spa people let you use your common sense instead of just banning you.
Mm, I'm not a massive fan of Bristol either although I have had several friends live there and love it. I think it's one of those cities that you have to get to know by living there and discovering hidden cool places rather than tourist friendly. I haven't been to stonehenge but I would like to visit one day. I can never say it without doing it in a Spinal Tap voice though....I think Suzanne has a book by Julian Cope which is quite mad but has pictures of stone circles all over the UK, there are some in the North East I think which are supposed to be very impressive and much less visited than Stonehenge.
Post a Comment