When I lived at home I used to spend hours at a time sitting alone in my room, communing with rolls of card, pens, pencils, fabrics, glues, paints, threads and yarns. If anyone had asked me afterwards what I had been doing I would have said I was 'making things'. What was I making. I keep trying to remember but I just can't. I know I used to make my toys clothing because my best bear Tim is still wearing a pair of denim dungarees and a knitted jumper, that I made. I also have very vivid memories of making a 3D maze. You'd put a marble into the top and if you tipped the thing in the right sequence eventually it would come out of the bottom. I remember spending a lot of time on that. It was difficult to get the spaces inside just the right size.
When I went to uni I didn't stop making things. I remember making all my own christmas cards one year, with 3D christmas trees in them. That was a lot of work. One of the things that stood in my way was a lack of resources. That's when I started crocheting in earnest. I think that's one of the things that made knitting so appealing. You don't need that much stuff just to get on with it.
What I don't understand is, where does this need to create come from? And, what was I making during all those hours at home as a child? Was I just preparing myself for the making ahead? It worries me that I can't rememeber.
1 comment:
Hallo Hannah. Your bear sounds cute!
When I was about six my father challenged me to make one of those vertical rotating advertising boards that scroll constantly between three different adverts (we were seeing a lot of them on our holiday and they were fairly new at the time). I too often made stuff with bits of card, string, wool, material (and also can't remember what it all was, ho hum). The big incentive this time was TEN TIMES pocket money! Of course, the weekly 50p went a bit further in those days... Anyway, by the end of the day I had a tiny (10cmx10cmx1cm or so) working model, and was rich for the rest of the holiday. Great fun.
Take care,
Natalie
Post a Comment