Monday, July 02, 2007

5 Things I Love About Our New House

Despite our internet problems I am in love with our new house and gardens. Here's a list of my top ten best things:


  1. The view and the surrounding countryside. After spending the last few years living in the middle of cities, with views of mostly concrete, cars, council depots etc., it's lovely to feel like there's so much space. When I get up in a morning and look out of these windows I can't believe how lucky I am.


  2. The gardens. I love growing things and for the past year I've been resticted to pots in a north-facing, windy, damp yard, always in shade. I've got stuck right in here and now have a vegetable patch, hanging baskets and a flower bed.
    vegetable patch
    hanging basket


  3. Somewhere to sensibly store my stash Look, it's all organised, in neat plastic boxes, sorted by weight. I know exactly what is there and how much I have. Hurrah for space.
    My new stash storage


  4. The Appliances This is a bit of a sad one, but we got a number of appliances with the house. The washing machine works like a dream, compared to the old, battered 10 year old one we had before, that used to dance around the kitchen. We have a second fridge, which means all the bottles and jars have somewhere to live. Finally we have a dishwasher, which is like a revelation to me. I've never had a dish washer before in my life. Just take a moment to marvel at the thought of not having to do dishes. I'm converted.


  5. The light and space. These two go hand in hand really. Having lived in a series of grim, victorian houses and flats, I am really enjoying having so much light in every room. After the Tyneside flat, this place is palacial. I am very happy.



1 comment:

Glenda said...

I too have been converted by the wonder of the dishwasher. When we moved into our current place last summer, Mike bought a portable one one that rolls across the floor and attaches to the sink with a hose... not quite as convenient as a built-in one, but just as effective... oh the fun of just pushing a button and then taking out the clean, dry dishes an hour later! :)