Friday, January 18, 2008

Like academics in a book shop

Last weekend Graeme and I took a trip up to Alnwick. We had lunch in the Alnwick Treehouse Restaurant which was lovely, but the main reason for going was to visit the amazing Barter Books second hand book shop. I can truly say I've never seen anything quite like it. It has an amazing selection of books, including many rare books and first editions. It's inside the old station and totaly fills the space.

I had a good look through some really old science books. I was hopefuly of finding some interesting knitting books but was sadly dissappointed to find that I had been beaten to it, leaving only a couple of horrible 80s colourwork books. I did find a lace edgings book that still had the needles attached that came with it. I also picked up a couple of general craft books which had some detailed instructions and diagrams for dress making and advice about potential gifts to make for any friend who "does for herself".

Old craft books from Barter Books

A work of advice for anyone who decides to visit Barter Books, and it is definitely worth it. The place is freezing so make sure you wear your coat. I was wearing my aran jumper and thought that would be enough. By the end I was shivering.

No comments: