Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Elephants and Yarn

Last weekend Isabella turned 1 and in celebration of this I knitted her an elephant from Ysolda Teage's Elijah pattern. I used Rowan Cashsoft DK. I really enjoyed knitting it and unlike most knitted toys there was very little seaming to be done. The stiches for the arms and legs were picked up from the body so there's no chance of them falling off from too much love. I think I might knit another.

Elijah on the Sofa

While in Beadnell I started spinning some merino which I bought from Scottish Fibres. It is a blend of colours, the colourway is called Spring and it does remind me very much of some of the spring flowers that are around at the moment. I feel like there should be a green and yellow colourway to go with it. The first 2 skeins ended up a heavy DK weight, but the third skein which a finished at the weekend ended up much lighter. I'm not too worried by it. I think the first two will become a scarf and the last one a pair of gloves which actually works out quite well.

Merino Handspun Spring

I am finding that as term goes on I am getting more and more tired and less able to concentrate on making things. I feel much less creative as I result. Yesterday I decided to bring out the long neglected boring marathon projects I've been hiding from. Maybe I can finish my hemp cardigan before it gets warm enough to wear it. Wish me luck.

No comments: