Monday, May 19, 2008

Lots of gardening but no knitting.

Despite it being relatively cold yesterday (13°C) it was lovely and sunny so I decided to devote some time to the garden. Rather than looking like a shallow grave (Graeme really has gone on a work trip) it now looks green and promising. You'll notice in the photo below that I'm not being organic about it. I don't feel like I have time at the moment to hand pick slugs from my plants.
vegetable patch

On Saturday, motivated by the special offers, I made a trip to Woolaballoo in Crawcrook. I really like the shop, although they are still building up their stock so it doesn't have everything but the range of sock yarn is quite good and I'm happy to support any small independent yarn shop since we have so few.

I also made an attempt to recreate a delicacy I know from my native Sheffield, Derbyshire oatcakes. They came out a bit thick. I've been trying to do this on and off for years and this is the closest I've got so far. I think I need to try and find some fine oatmeal. I good sustitute for the mean time anyway.

oatcake

2 comments:

Glenda said...

Is an oatcake like a giant pancake? (or drop scones, as they seem to be called around here)

serve it for breakfast with a good dose of maple syrup, and no one will notice if its a bit thick! :)

The Knit Nurse said...

It's like a large, thin crumpet. A bit like an american pancake I suppose, but oaty. I wouldn't normally have it with sweet stuff though.