Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hiatus

Sorry for the long gap between blog posts. Graeme left for a long work trip and I didn't feel much like writting anything at first. I'm used to being on my own now, although I still find it hard to find the time and motivation to do all the cleaning, washing up, mowing the lawn etc.

There has been some knitting progress. I finished my Pomatomus socks
Pomatamous Socks">

I also finished the Monkey Socks I was knitting. Since the only person who thought the colourway looked halfway decent was Pinkphish she is now their proud owner. Lucy knits so many items for gifts and for charity that there is noone more deserving of some handknit socks.
Monkey Socks

Lucy and Glenda both came over on the weekend Graeme left to cheer me up, eat a roast dinner and knit. We made a pathetic attempt to watch the film Ratouie but we kept knitting and talking so the film passed us by.
Glenda

Encouraged by Lucy and Glenda I started a pair of plain sock in the Regia Silk Colour bought for me by Jen for my birthday. I love the colourway and it does look great in stockinette. I knit the first very quickly but saved the second to knit on the bus on our school trip last weekend. I love them so much I feel like I should keep them to look at.
Plain socks in Regia Silk Colour

Last night I cast on some RPM socks in Wildfoote sock yarn from the Brown Sheep Company.
RPM socks

I spent last weekend on a school trip to Derwent Hill, which is the residential centre on Derwent Water in the Lakes, run by Sunderland Council. We took 50 teenagers with us. We got to take part in the activities with groups so I spent Saturday morning kayaking and the afternoon on high ropes from trees. I went down the zip line but skipped on the Tripple Death Swing. I didn't fancy loosing my lunch from a great height with 20 teenagers watching me. The best activity was the gorge walking on Sunday afternoon. We were kitted out in wet suits and waterproofs and went sliding down the waterfalls and rocks in a river bed flowing down the side of one of the hills. A thunderstorm was brewing but it was warm. Very atmospheric. I didn't take my camera with me and for obvious reasons I won't be posting any pictures that include children from school but I'll hopefully be able to get some photos of the scenery from one of the other teachers. I pinched these off another website.

Despite all my expectations I really enjoyed the weekend and we didn't really have any problems with any of the young people with us. This week feels like a real struggle as I was already exhausted on Monday morning. Fortunately today I have a conference to attend in Newcastle, starting at 10am. I'll try not to leave my posts so long next time.

1 comment:

PURLPOWER said...

Adventure sports with teenagers sounds like hell on earth to me but lovely pics! fantastic sock knitting too, I think those RPMs are going to turn out brilliantly.