After leaving San Francisco we drove inland, heading South East. We passed through loads of flat, dry farmland, where citrus fruits and grapes were growing. It was stiflingly hot. Reaching the mountains was a real relief. We got to Sequoia National Park first and stopped to see the General Grant tree, which is the 4th largest (by volume) in the world. It's so amazing how something living can be so big. (please note the small people standing next to the tree)
I find it interesting how the ecosystem depends on fire. The sequoia trees don't burn well but the forest actually grows better if there's a small natural fire from time to time to allow light to the ground.
We drove through the park into Kings Canyon National Park, where we stayed in a lodge (more like a motel). The canyon is really impressive. We walked about 6 miles from the end of the road up towards the mountains and back. I was petrified about seeing a bear, so I sang and made noise all the way. We didn't see any bears. We did see some deer and they didn't seem upset by my singing at all. G was probably the most disturbed by it. After 14 men went to mow he put his foot down. It was good to get into the wilds for a bit (and not see bears), but in the afternoon it was way too hot for walking. I really am a northerner.
So that's pretty much the end of the holiday. We drove back to Santa Barbara, staying overnight in Buellton, home of the famous split pea soup (no, really), where we had a really good steak at the Hitching Post.
1 comment:
When we went camping in Canada I was petrified all week that a bear would come and eat me. It was the nearest to hysterical I've ever felt when one night someone's dog came grunting and snuffling round the outside of our tent.
{Shudders}
Post a Comment