Monday, April 17, 2006

Holiday Withdrawl Symptoms

I was feeling pretty gloomy yesterday morning. Post-holiday blues coupled with PMT. It's strange to go back to it being just the two of us after being with my family all week.

Easter Sunday is a weird day. Everything is shut like at Christmas, but unlike Christmas it isn't required that you spend the entire day couped up with your family, stuffing your face and watching rubbish on TV. So, what to do? We had various chores that needed doing around the house, but most of them required a trip to a DIY shop (which was shut). It was sunny outside. Graeme suggested we go along to the coast, to Seaton Suice where it might not be so crowded. I think this was partly a move to combat our coastal withdrawl symptoms and partly to put a stop to my tidying (I moved all his shoes).


I'd only been to Seaton Sluice once before. My memory was that it was a bit grim. I was quite surprised when we got there. The beach is lovely and long. The sand is redish. At the northern end you can see the wind generators on Blyth peer and some other industrial stuff but it doesn't look terrible. We had a lovely walk along the beach, all the way to the windmills. On the way back we stopped in at the icecream parlour. I was curious to see what it was like. About 7 years ago, when I was in halls of residence, I knew a girl who used to go on about how nice the icecream was there. I wondered if it lived up to her discription. It was good icecream. Not too sweet. I had a scoop of lemon and a scoop of fruits of the forest. Yum! I recommend it. They also do fish and chips, which looked tasty.


When we got back near the carpark we topped to fly my lovely Seahouses kite.

My kite


I felt much better when we got home. We had shark steak for dinner. I bought them in Craster,at the kipper factory. I've never had shark before. I quite liked it. I did it in an anchovy, mushroom and white wine sauce, with new potatoes and steamed baby spinach.

Shark steak from Craster


I didn't feel so bad today. We ended up doing the chores I mentioned. We began preparing the render at the front of the house for painting. I planted some heathers in pots to put at the front with U1 and U2, our yew trees. Then we had kippers for tea, with brown basmati rice and grilled veg (corgettes, bell peppers, onions and tomatoes). We bought the kippers from Craster too. I found out last week that kippers were 'invented' in Seahouses. Someone left a fire burning over night by mistake in a shed where some split herring was hanging. In the morning they found the 'ruined' fish. Someone tried the fish and found them to be quite tasty. The kipper was born. Mistakes aren't always bad.

Craster Kippers


Graeme finished off the rollmops and salmon pate we bought from Seahouses for lunch. That's all the holiday food nearly gone. We just have a piece of smoked haddock left. Then it will be back to normal (sigh!). I have to say, I really enjoyed my holiday. I don't think I've felt so relaxed since I started writing my thesis, over a year ago. I still have tommorrow off, then it's back to work. I'm quite looking forward to getting stuck into the paper I'm writing. Wonder how long that will last. :)

No comments: