Sunday, December 16, 2007

Hooray! I made it to the end of term. I feel totally exhausted but it's so good to be sitting here on a Sunday night knowing that I don't have to go to work tomorrow.

Friday was a half day in school and pretty pointless. I did recieve a few gifts of wine and chocolate from the children in my form class. One girl gave me this huge hamper of bubbly, truffles, a champagne flute and a small Christmas cake. I feel like I deserve it. They've been hard work.

Presents from student

When I got home I decided to get in the Christmas spirit by getting out all the decorations and lights. I couldn't manage to lift the trees into the house myself so I ended up having to wait till Saturday to do the decorating. They're not large trees but they were already in the garden when we moved in so they were free. One is in good shape and the other is a bit out of proportion. I like having a living Christmas tree. So far there has been minimum shedding of needles too. Graeme was feeling left out when I was taking photos and wanted to be included.

Our Christmas Tree and Graeme

Christmas tree's poor relation

I also spray painted some pine cones that we picked up last week while out walking.

Spray painting cones

I finally finished these rather dull plain socks, from the hand dyed (by Lucy and I) blue faced leicester yarn I got from WoolFest. I started them in September. I should have finished them weeks ago but I was found them very boring to knit. I wasn't feeling up to anything more complicated at the time. Knitting them on 2 mm needles didn't help.

Finished socks

I usually only allow myself one sock-weight project at a time, so finishing the socks left me free to start making myself a pair of gloves. I'm using the Hooray For Me pattern by Marnie MacLean. I decided to make the fingers full length for warmth. The yarn I am using is Lana Grossa Mega Boots Stretch. I like the way they're turning out. Hopefully it'll be relatively easy to match the colour sequence for the second one.

Hooray For Me Gloves

It occurred to me this morning that I've been quite selfish with my knitting this Christmas. I think I've only made one thing for someone else. Usually I make something for most people. This term has been so tiring I just couldn't face a string of deadlines in my knitting. I wanted to keep it relaxing. Maybe I'll start some projects for other people with next Christmas in mind and keep them till then.

No comments: