Sunday, May 21, 2006

Saturday's alright for...

For several weeks now I've been meaning to go along to the Cenutrion Knitters on a Saturday. It sounds like good fun and I'd really like to meet more knitters and actually be able to talk to them (rather than shouting at them over the loud music in Forth, on a Tuesday night). I think I've mentioned before that I feel bad missing out of spending Saturdays with Graeme when I am away so much. Anyway, I woke up yesterday morning and was feeling kind of twitchy, wondering whether to go out knitting or do something else. I finally came to the conclusion that Graeme was more important to me than knitting, which gives Graeme very high standing. ;) I'll have more time to go in September when I stop travelling to Leicester every week and since the group seems in a healthy state and unlikely to fold, I might as well wait till then.


So Graeme and I walk down into town, did a bit of shopping and went down to the Baltic. On the way I burned my mouth on a Gregs pasty and found some expensive (by my standards) Merrell sandals which I want to buy. The Baltic has this Space-Time tunnel on the top floor at the moment.
I quite enjoyed it but I don't know if it really lived up to the 15 minute wait. My idea of a spacetime tunnel is somewhat different from a wiggly newspaper/iron structure with lots of TVs in it.

Lower down there were some paintings made up of a series of coloured squares. You've got to admire the patience of the guy who painstakingly filled in each tiny square in the special order, but really it looks no better than noisy radar data plotted on a pastel colour scale. This picture makes it look better than it actually was.


My favourite exhibition was the photogrphy one (Sam Taylor Wood). Some fantastic images of people. I thought of all of them it was the most interesting and accessible to the general public. I particularly liked the stop-motion films of fruit and meat decaying (fascinating), and the shots of people mid-sommersault.

Another interesting one was a movie, showing people in the pub. At first glance it looks like a still, because no one is moving, but then you realise the cigarette in the foreground is smoking. Bizzarre to look at. Definitely worth a visit. You should pop into the coloured square too and thank heaven you have something a little more useful to do with your life.


In the evening I made an aubergine bake and we watched Eurovision. I was hoping Lithuania would win, but Finland winning was almost as good. Any group who sings about the day of rockening and the arockalypse deserve rockognition in my oppinion.

No comments: