Monday, July 03, 2006

Happy Birthday Graeme

Coming home early from WoolFest meant that I got to spend time with Graeme on his birthday. He's not a big fan of birthday celebrations but I think he had a good time. We ended up having a barbecue, with steak, sweetcorn, mushrooms and baked potatoes. We also had some fizzy wine and cakes with sparkling candles. Here he is watching the Tour de France coverage with fizz in hand.
Birthday Graeme

Ended up having a walk down the dene around teatime (before lighting the barbecue). There was a Punch and Judy and a bouncy castle in the park. Now we know what Alan Shearer is doing in his retirement.
Shearer's Castle full of 'Geordie Bouncers'

I noticed the shoe tree is looking a bit sorry. Last time I passed people were pulling down shoes (along with a lot of foliage) and steeling them. Poor tree hardly has any low branches any more. The shoes seem to have spread to the surrounding trees. Hope they don't suffer the same fate.
Shoes

2 comments:

gourdongirl said...

Shoe tree? strange idea, does it have some significance?

Happy belated birthday to Graeme!!!

Hope to see you in Newcastle too.

The Knit Nurse said...

It's an odd thing. It's been there a few years. People just started throwing shoes up there. It caught on and everyone started doing it. I don't think the council like it much.

It features in a book called The Taxi Drivers Daughter by Julia Darling, but I think that's just fiction.