One of the good things I've found about training to be a teacher is that you get a good response when people ask what you do. When I was working in research explaining my job to people led to a wide variety of responses. Some people say 'you must be really clever' (what do you say to that?) and some people say 'that's interesting' (meaning they have no idea what I'm on about), but most people just look at you a bit funny. Everyone knows what a teacher is and most people see it as a worthwhile thing to do. Also it makes people feel like that can talk to you rather than thinking they're addressing the next Albert Eintein (which they're not). I quite like it.
Wednesday, November 08, 2006
Job Titles
I don't have much exciting stuff to talk about at the moment. The Forth has been very odd recently. I don't think I've been two weeks in a row where the same people have been there. I like seeing new people but I miss seeing everyone else on a weekly basis. Autumn seems to be quite a busy time for everyone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think it's great that you're teaching. I have SO much respect for teachers, having lived with one for two years. I think you'll do a wonderful job Hannah.
Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday. Yippee! xx
When Danny and I were staying with Justin in Japan we spent one day with a guy Justin was teaching English - a top flight businessman. He asked us what we did and I said I was a physics researcher and he looked at me like I was nothing - when Danny said he was a maths teacher he went mad with praise "aaaah sensei, sensei, very important!". Danny was impressed. By the way I like the fireworks video. It's the nearest I got to fireworks this year...
Yeah,I agree on the teacher job thing. I was at the Edinburgh comedy festival and a comedian asked if anyone in the audience was a teacher. I raised my hand and said I worked with kids in a museum; another lady said she taught high school. The comedian ignored me after that. Teaching is pretty well respected, even though you might not feel that way every day!
Post a Comment