Friday, October 06, 2006

Operation Christmas Child

The school I am at for my teaching practice is involved in Operation Christmas Child, which involves sending christmas presents to children in desperate situations all over the world. The school is hoping to break their record, sending hundreds of boxes this year. We all know how exciting it is to get presents and we get loads. These kids don't get anything. I know the organisation is Christian, which might put some people off but we all love giving gifts.


I've agreed to knit some hats to put in the presents (which are in wrapped shoe boxes). The lady organising it uses a simple knitting pattern, which I've put below, but I'm sure all hats are welcome. If anyone would like to help out and knit a few hats bring them along to the Centurion or Forth knitting groups and I'll take them in to school. If you're not in Newcastle send me an email of leave a comment and I'll sort something out with you.


Simple Hat Pattern

Using DK yarn and 4mm needles, CO 104 sts.
Knit 45 rows 1x1 rib.
Row 46: (k1,p1,k2tog tbl) to end.
Row 47: p1(k1,p2tog) to end.
Row 48: rep row 46.
Row 49: (p2tog,k1) to end.
Row 50: (k2tog tbl) to end.
Row 51: Break yarn, draw through remaining stitches and pull together. Stitch seam.

Use brightly colours stripes or patterns where possible.
Key: k1 - knit 1, p1 - purl 1, k2tog - knit 2 together, p2tog - purl 2 together, tbl - through back loop

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think all the schools in Morpeth are involved in this as we get letters home about it every year. I'm not so sure I agree with their philosophy of adding 'Gospel booklets' in with the gifts, but otherwise it's a sound principal. Thanks for posting the pattern.

The Knit Nurse said...

I'm not sure I really agree with the gospel booklets either. I think if the recipients are Christians then maybe they'll be glad of it and if not they'll probably just ignore it.