Monday, October 23, 2006

Post number 101: Fascinating Fungi

On Sunday Snaterkat, Graeme and I went along to the fascinating fungi event at Thornley woods, near Rowlands Gill. Some people obviously knew what they were doing and quickly went and squirreled away large quantities of edible mushrooms. We spent a long time trying to find different types. We'd take them back to the table and add them to the group collection. Here's one of our hauls:
Our collection

We saw some fantastic bracket fungi,
Bracket fungi on birch
Really big bracket fungi
and some cool orange jelly fungi:
Bright yellow jelly fungi
All together we ended up with a fantastic haul and learned lots about fungi. This is just some of it.
The fungi table

I'm pretty confident I could identify one or two species of edible fungi. We ended up bringing a couple home and friend them in butter and salt. They were very tasty. I really must find some more some time. I had a look in Jesmond Dene this afternoon but there didn't seem to be any at all. Wonder why.

1 comment:

PURLPOWER said...

I've wanted to go on a funghi walk for ages but haven't found any or anyone to go with! If you go on another one please give me a shout, I would love to go foraging for edible shrooms with you.