Sunday, October 01, 2006

Ring O' Ring O'Rosie

Becca and I have a long and illustrious history of getting lost at the end of coastal walks, usually when trying to find the metro to get home. Bearing this in mind you might have thought we would have taken a map with us on an excusion to Ring O'Rosie, but no. Maps are not for intrepid explorers like us. So, after a quick glance at multimap we set off for the coast.

We wanted to have a bit of a walk, so we got the metro to Tynemouth and after refulling on sweets at the market, we headed north up the coast. It was a really pleasant day. Surprising for late September. We had a lovely paddle on Long Sands and headed up towards Cullercoats. We had a vague idea where we wanted to be so we began to head inland, and soon realised that we we're quite sure of the way. So, being sensible woman we stopped to asked for directions. One woman told us it was far to far to walk and we'd have to take the bus. A lot of other people seemed not to know where Front Street was at all. But, undaughted (well, al little bit daunted) we kept going and eventually got to Monkseaton metro station.

We knew it wasn't right, because the shop should have been somewhere between West Monkseaton and Monkseaton metro stops and we'd passed them both. We decided to have a bit of a wonder around in case we found it. We stopped again at a news agents, only to be told that it was just a few shops down. And, there it was! We made it with 40 minutes to spare before closing.

I was intending to browse rather than buy. It seems stupid to buy much with my birthday coming up and I've got lots of things to be working on already. I was tempted over and over again by all the lovely goodies. I was particularly tempted by some Noro but I stayed strong. I did buy a couple of balls of tweed and got a free pattern to make some bunny rabbits. I thought they'd be a good baby present. I also got a ball of DB Baby Cashmerino for some booties.

The shop also had some fabulous quilting fabric and I starting to feel guilty for neglecting my quilting projects. I really must sit down and finish the beadspread I was making off.

Anyway, I'm so glad to have finally made it out to Ring O'Rosie and I'll definitely be going again in the not too distant future.

On a different note, my bag is currently in the washing machine hopefully being felted. I'm slightly nervous about how it will come out. Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Ring o Rosie is a real treasure. It's so hard to get out to Whitley Bay but it's worth supporting our very own little LYS. I'm hoping they start up a Wednesday night knitting circle so we can come out on a weeknight!