Sunday, June 04, 2006

Rhubarb, rhubarb everywhere.....

Another warm day yesterday. Graeme and I had lunch in Heaton Park, after a trip to Morrisons for supplies. After eating and skimming the Guardian (no irritating knitting articles this week) I knitted some of my pink poncho, using the yarn which inspired pink day at my work. I'm just doing two rectanlges. It's a fairly simple uneven rib pattern, which I settled upon after much debate with family members last weekend.


pink knitting

I took the picture with my new camera phone. I think it looks rather odd. Like a photo in a 1950s knitting pattern.

My friends Fiona, Ben and Chris came over for dinner. For dessert I decided I should use up some of the unfeasably large ammount of rhubarb my mum gave me, from their garden, last weekend. I really like rhubarb. I never buy it from the shops but only get it through donations from friends and family. It grows like weeds in some people's gardens and they can't get rid of it quick enough. I decided I was bored with my default rhubarb crumble and I couldn't be bothered to do a rhubarb pie either. I googled for rhubarb desserts on google and found a website dedicated entirely to rhubarb. The Rhubarb Compendium

I made the rhubarb torte which was more or less rhurbarb meringue pie. It was also my first stab at a meringue pie. I think it turned out well. It had a gooey meringue top, rather than the hard, crispy kind, which I prefer. Still it was a big hit. The sweetness of the meringue went well with the tart of the rhubarb. I heartily recommend it.

Rhubarb Torte

No comments: