Friday, June 09, 2006

World Cup Day

The first thing my officemate Nigel said to me this morning was 'Happy World Cup Day'. I don't think this was without irony because Nigel is actually a big rugby fan. I have mixed feelings about the world cup. In previous years I have enjoyed watching the international matches and supporting England but I don't remember hearing as much about it before it even started. I am already sick of hearing world cup songs (there are about 20 different ones), discussions about Rooney's foot (As Nigel said, it would be better for all of us if they just chopped it off.) and comments on Sven's team picking, and I'm sick of seeing flags everywhere and promotions for football shaped cereal bowls.


I feel slightly releaved that the whole thing has started, even though I know there's a month of relentless football ahead. At least the warm weather means that there are plenty of things to do outside, away from the TV.


Sarah and I have planned a picnic in Victoria Park (Leicester) for Saturday afternoon (3pm, all welcome). So even though I can't make it to Tynemouth for Glittr's WWKIP (World Wide Knit in Public) Day picnic I will be doing some knitting in public, probably combined with some eating sushi in public, throwing frisby in public and drinking in public.

1 comment:

PURLPOWER said...

Truly you do not know WC pain until you have lived with a football obsessed Scotman during not one, but now two world cups in which Scotland Didnae Qualify. It's Hell.