Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Finishing

I hate leaving things unfinished. They prey on my mind. Last year, some time between submitting my thesis and having my viva I knitted this cardigan. It's done in Paton's Washed Haze, which I bought in the Fenwick's sale. It was originally meant to be a present from my friend's daugter. I had all but finished it, but when I completed the hood I realised that it had turned out the size of an adult's hood. It was about the same length as the jacket itself. I checked the pattern and I had knitted it right, but when I looked at the photograph in the book the number of stripes on the pictured version didn't match up with the written pattern. Clearly there is something wrong with the pattern. I was very stressed at the time and I couldn't bring myself to sort it out, so it has been sitting in a drawer since then, waiting to be sorted out.


I too the cardigan along to the Forth last night and consulted with a couple of people about the best thing to do. I ripped out the top part of the hood, missed out the plain knitting and did the second lot of shaping over half the rows than was suggested in the pattern. I sewed it up and finished the edging and here it is (front and back).
Child's cardigan
Child's cardigan (back)
All it needs now is a zip. I suspect I bougth one at the time but I must have used it for something else. The original recipient has now outgrown this cardigan, so it doesn't have a home to go to. It will have to wait until other small people have grown a bit. It feels very good to have it finished. I think I will now turn my attention to other unfinished items and see what I can do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks great! No humumgous headed child needed now! Yay!